I think there is something terribly wrong with me and I may need psychological counseling.
For the past nineteen months I have worked in a job that I absolutely deplore. The reasons I despise it are varied but the three most compelling are the total lack of any kind of work ethic in most of the staff, the lack of management support to initiate change, and boredom. I could be like so many other working people and just go with the flow but I cannot. I am bored out of my mind at work. The only challenge is trying to motivate the staff. The rest of the work I could do in my sleep. So I have begun to search out new possibilities, something a bit more challenging.
I actually interviewed yesterday for a management position that I should probably run from, run fast without looking back. The place is a mess, the staff has free reign, there is no sense of order, and the office is most likely teetering on the edge of survival. There is a fairly new computer system in the office and statements haven't gone out in months. Why, oh why, would I even consider this as a replacement for the cake job I have now? Why would I want to take a position that I know would most likely take six months to a year of long, long days to turn around? From what I could gather during the interview there are no written office policies and procedures, no job descriptions, no discipline, no oversight. I would be absolutely crazy to even think about it, right? Then why am I mulling it over in my mind, thinking about what I would do first to begin the process of change? Why am I considering digging out manuals from a previous management position I held to begin thinking about writing new ones? Why am I excited about the prospect of learning yet another computer system and straightening out the accounting process in that office? I would have total control to implement the changes necessary. Is that what drives me? Am I really a control freak? Or do I just thrive on a good challenge? I know in my mind I should keep on looking for something that is not quite this risky or time consuming, something challenging but not bordering on lunacy. Why would I do this to myself? I can only determine that I am crazy. Somebody stop me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
well, you have done this before - rescued an office in total disarray.
I am witness to your ability to rapidly assess the problems, set new guidelines for staff and dig in to resolve billing issues. If any one can do this job you are contemplating it is you. My advice to you is to ask for a compensation level that will make the hours (and I mean HOURS)required not become onerous. When I asked a consultant at a conference about how much it might cost to have someone come look at the office I had just inherited I was told $150/hr including travel time. And then they would only come assess the problems and write a report, leaving the implementation to me.
Thank you so much for rescuing me and the practice. You will never know how much Paul and I appreciate it.
Through this quirk of fate I was fortunate to become closer to my younger sister whom I had seen only at occasional family gatherings since I went off to college 40 years ago. This was the real prize!
Good Luck if you decide to take this job. If you need part time help I might be available!
Freezing in MI
I already had you in mind as a potential temporary part-time soldier in the battle. I am not going to do this rashly, probably not at all. But if the money is right I may consider it seriously.
I have now had time to think this through and I can only say that life is too short to step into this mess. I will pass on this one and wait for a better opportunity to come along.
glad you came to a decision about this one. although i think maybe you secretly love your current job and all the drama. tee hee hee.
Post a Comment