Wednesday, January 9, 2008
Finding My Voice
Blogging is a very new experience for me. I am usually a very private person. This small venture into blogdom may be short-lived but I felt the need to give my voice an outlet. There are so many things, good and bad, going on in the world that need our attention. Perhaps sharing our thoughts on blogsights is one step toward making changes, one person at a time. The catalyst to finally create my blog was hearing yet another story about Britney Spears on the Today show this morning. Really, haven't we heard it all again and again and again? Does the average viewer even care? When the morning "news" programs become "trash tv" it is time to tune them out and turn them off. What I would like to propose is that everyone that feels they've had enough of this kind of newscasting go to the network sites and email your comments. Let them know we want real news, not gossip. It may not make a difference but isn't it worth trying?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have to agree with you. The news programing has become geared to the lowest common denominator. I can barely tolerate the news "personalities" and their drivel. I want News that is important to me..the state of the world, finanacial news, indepth reporting of world events with historical context and more positive event reporting. There seems to be a gleeful focus on the misfortunes of individuals, pandering to the basest instincts of the viewing population.
Also the 24/7 news outlets seem to focus only on two or three stories over and over again, relegating any other information to the crawler which seems to be interupted at the crucial moment for a commercial. This is why I still read several newspapers every day.
Even the weather channel has tried to become entertainment. When ever I need to know the weather in other parts of the country (my children are scattered across the US) I have to wait thru some entertainment programing to find the info I am looking for, there fore I have turned to the computer more and more.
Thank heavens for the internet.
Also, good luck with the neighbors.
welcome to the world of blogging! i couldn't agree with you more about the absurd addiction the american public has with celebrities. there are most definitely more important issues in the world than paris hilton going to jail or britney spears forgetting to wear panties. i got up the other morning a little while after the today show had started and realized there were 2 main stories being covered - the iowa caucus and britney spears losing her mind and holding her kids hostage in her house. i had to ask my roommate, who had been up for the start of the show, in all seriousness if the lead story was the caucus or britney. how sad is that?!
I guess I am trying to figure out-is it really the public that commands these types of stories or is it the networks and the rags? Everyone I know hates it. Do we listen/read this gossip because it is all that is available?
Post a Comment