Over the holidays I have given much thought about my neighbors and how I really don't know many of them. When I was a child we knew everyone on our block and a lot of the people in the surrounding blocks. My best friend lived across the street, my grandmother lived a block away, and a school playground was around the corner. I suppose it was easier to get to know people because they used to sit out on their front porches in the evenings. If you wanted someone to talk to or play with you simply had to go for a walk and stop for a visit on a porch swing. Someone always had a pot of coffee brewing and KoolAid for the kids. Life seemed simpler back then.
This said, I have decided to try to introduce myself to at least two neighbors on my block in the next week. I know everyone is busy with work, kids, etc., but I am tired of seeing these people come and go while I have no idea who they are. I am going to be proactive about it. I may bake some cookies, wrap them up, knock on a couple of doors and simply introduce myself. No pressure to visit, just to let them know who lives in our home. I have also been thinking for a few months that I should organize a block party in the springtime. I am not looking for solid friendships, simply pleasant acquaintances. I have a handful of very close friends that I can't seem to find enough time for already. I just think it would be nice to know the people in this little world we call "neighborhood".
This may sound fairly easy for most people but for me it will be a test in self-determination. As I said in my first post I am a very private, actually shy, person. It takes me a while to warm up to people and I have been inclined to avoid situations where I don't know anyone. But as I get older I realize how much this has affected my life and it is never too late to change. I will let you know how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think that's a great idea. I like knowing who my neighbours are and we introduced ourselves to four of ours within the first month we lived here. It's nice to have a feeling of community and to at least know each other's names.
Post a Comment