Thursday, January 24, 2008
Ordinary Wonders
While driving to work this morning, heading west toward the interstate, I was struck by the view before me. Heavy gray clouds were settled just above the dark, barren hills in the distance. The sun illuminated the buildings nestled in those hills, creating an image of black and white tones. The moon, full and just beginning to lose its glow to daylight, was positioned perfectly above the tallest building like the dot of an i. If I had had my camera with me I would have pulled over to take a picture. Even though I might have been late for work by doing so, I pulled over anyway to linger for just a moment, to let the image be etched into my memory. I wondered if any of the other commuters had noticed this picture perfect scene. All too often, we hurry through our day without noticing the beauty all around us, the simple beauty of ordinary things. We get so caught up in the stress and chaos that we forget how to really see our world. So I began to wonder what other people would find beautiful if they gave it some thought and actually took a good look around them. Would they notice the sun peeking out between the clouds like a giant sleepy eye? Would they notice the frothy, icy wake of the tug slowly pushing its load of coal up the river? Or notice the very moment that the nearby city pops into view as the traffic flows along? Would they see the glint of sun bouncing off the airplane as it tips its wing and arcs around for landing? Would they notice the twinkling of the lights on the radio towers atop those hills? Would they see the birds lined up like clothespins on the power line? Or perhaps the faint smile of the tousle-haired child staring out the window of the car in the next lane? What beautiful things do you see in your everyday, ordinary surroundings?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment