Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Love at First Sight

To my firstborn child. You were small and fragile, I was young and unsure. I couldn't fathom the love I would have for you until I first laid eyes on you. At that moment you stole my heart, completely and forever. With your tiny hands tightly fisted and your blue eyes bright and alert, you changed my life in ways I had never understood possible before this moment. Here you were, so small and so dependent on me to nourish you, to love you. I was elated and petrified at once, dumbstruck by what a tremendous responsibility it is to hold someone's life and future so completely in my hands. You were perfect, with your cap of brown feathery hair and your beautiful little face, your tiny mouth opening and closing like a baby bird waiting for a feeding. No matter what else the future held, I promised to do the very best I could for you. You were, overall, an easy baby, only crying out when you needed to be fed or changed or cuddled. I marvelled at every milestone met, happy that you were progressing normally in spite of the mistakes I made along the way. We both grew together. I am so proud of the wonderful young woman you have become, with your radiant smile and great personality, your intelligence and efficiency, your humor and your kindness. Though you have left the nest to fly on your own, you will always be my baby bird. I love you. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much. this really means a lot to me and as i sit here thinking about all of the great things i have to be thankful for on my birthday, having the most wonderful parents in the world is certainly at the top of my list. i love you, too. :)