Monday, February 25, 2008

Hugs to You

My husband and I both come from large Catholic families, with five siblings each. This past weekend we met up with his family in Indianapolis to celebrate the February family birthdays, especially my mother-in-law's. I consider myself extremely lucky to be part of this big, happy family. When we all get together it is a noisy, joyful event with plenty of food and drink. While both our families are similar in many ways, his family is very physically affectionate, hugging and kissing as if they hadn't seen each other for ages. It reminds me of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" without the Greek and without the wedding. Every gathering is celebrated as a special event. It took me a while to get used to all that touchy, feely kind of emotion but I wouldn't want it any other way now. I love that they are so open and genuine and truly nice. They are also very openly spiritual, not afraid to bow their heads and join hands in public to give thanks for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon them. While not necessarily religious, and never proselytizing, they know the importance of being grateful for the good things in their lives and praying for those situations that are beyond their control. I am grateful that my children have grown up in this open, loving family environment. No matter what they choose to believe or not believe spiritually they have this basis of goodness as their foundation.

I know many people have said that we are lucky to have a family so full of love and emotion. They are naturally drawn to this family and its aura of love. I challenge anyone reading this post to try hugging and telling your family or friends that you love them. It may be awkward at first but you may be amazed at the response you get. Look for something good in your life every day and be openly thankful for it. Focus on the positive things and try to be optimistic about the future. Too often we get so caught up in the struggle of life that we forget to open our eyes to the gifts we have been given. Hugs and kisses to everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, I miss the family gatherings. Can't wait until I can come back for one.