Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Elect to Act

I arose at 4:30am today so I could read a little bit more about the presidential candidates views. I left the house at 6:15am to cast my vote. Surprisingly, I only had a 20 minute wait in line. As I stood in line watching the other voters I felt a camraderie with all of them, no matter the party line they were following. As Americans, we all strive for similar things: good secure jobs, good education for our children, a sense of safety from the threats of terrorism, decent affordable healthcare that won't bankrupt us or deplete our life savings, the right to practice our religious beliefs or non-belief, the freedom to have a binding relationship with the person we love, the right to speak out without fear, a sense of pride that America is still a great nation of people who are willing to reach out to others to improve lives around the globe. We may think that we cannot do much as individuals but we all have the power within us to change the world, one small step at a time, one person at a time. So after the election is over, perhaps we could all seek out a way, be it small or large, to reach out our hands to those who need a lift up. Help a neighbor, volunteer, pray, donate, tutor, mentor, house, feed, clothe, comfort or inspire. Have a wonderful day and get out there to vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish more people would do what you did, brushing up on the candidates' views before voting. It's easy to lose perspective amongst all the mudslinging, incessant tv ads and talking heads. I can't wait to see the results!