Friday, November 7, 2008

Clutter Buster

Feeling much better today, and having slept away most of the past two days, I climbed out of bed at 4:30am. I am scheduled off for a three day weekend because I had planned to have a yard sale on Saturday. My goal is to eliminate enough of the extraneous clutter we have collected over the years so that I can stop paying for at least one of the two storage units that we lease. At $1200 per year for the two units, one would think we would have done this sooner. It is an emotional thing. There is a lot of junk in the storage units, but there are also a lot of memories. And it is very hard to let some of those things go. There is also quite an assortment of things that are kept out of guilt. Things passed on that we have no use for but feel quilty about getting rid of. Oh, and did I mention my husband is a pack rat? You know his kind, "We can't get rid of this, we might have a use for it in 50 years". I need to get him out of town for the day or he will be taking things off the tables and hiding them in the shed. But I will persevere for the time has come for a cleansing of the soul of sorts. One of my "thing to do before I die" wish list items previously posted was to clear all the clutter from my life and this is a big step in that direction. Not that I plan on dying soon, just that it may take me many years to accomplish. Whatever I can't sell I will either donate, post on Craig's list, or see if another family member is interested in storing. So wish me luck. I hate having yard sales, especially when people want to haggle with you over something priced at $1. C'mon people, either you want it or you don't. I would rather give the stuff to a charity than deal with the cheap misers. I held a yard sale with my in-laws several years ago and I swore I would never do it again. After the sale was over and all the leftovers had been loaded back into the house I actually had people return and knock on my door, wanting to know if I had sold a particular item. If they had to go home and mull over whether they could pay the $3 for the items in question perhaps they didn't need to be out yard-saling. Cha-ching!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't count on this sibling to store anything. My house is about to explode. but I did find something that really helps. I went to the local farm store and bought a pair of blinders for a horse. I keep them in my car and put them on as I approach the door.
Works like a charm!!