Saturday, June 14, 2008

Spring Rain

It is raining - a soft, steady, cleansing rain. A rain that stirs my soul into longing for a covered porch where I could curl up in a swing with a flannel blanket, a fluffy pillow, a book, and a cup of coffee. Where I could be lulled into a lazy peacefulness by the constant thrumming of water falling like tears from the darkened heavens, washing away the troubles of the day. Where I could drift into a much-needed restful sleep as my world is refreshed all around me by the life-giving liquid bathing the landscape with a glistening coat of green. Where I could awaken to the quietness just as the rain subsides, lingering idly in the moments before the sun nudges me out of my melancholy mood. Where my spirits are lifted by the cheerful chirping of the birds as they frolic in the temporary playground of puddles spilled about the yard. Where I can watch the flowers in the garden slowly turn their soggy heads toward the teasing rays of sun slipping out from between the clouds. Where I am coaxed out of my dreamy trance like a child awakening and stretching after a nap in her mother's protective arms, refreshed and ready to start anew. The day is waiting now and I arise from the porch swing of my dreams to take it on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story reminded me of sitting on Grandma's porch, covered with a sheet, as a cool rain fell. Then when the rain quit, we would get the thrill of wading in the water that had accumulated in the gutters of the street. Oh, what fun we used to have!
LilSis