On Tuesday morning an elderly woman came into my office looking for the stairs to get to the third floor oncology office. I informed her that there was an elevator in the next hallway that she could take but she seemed hesitant. I then offered to ride up in the elevator with her if she would like me to and she seemed to melt with relief. I walked over with her and rode up to the third floor then walked her to the door of her doctor's office. She told me, as I suspected, that she was somewhat claustrophobic and could only ride in elevators if someone else was in it with her. I empathised with her because my mother battled the same fear of elevators while going through her chemo treatments. I was only too happy to pay back the small kindnesses that strangers had bestowed upon my mother. I gave her my business card and told her to call me if she needed someone to ride down with her when she finished her treatment. She was very grateful for such a simple kindness.
Yesterday I went to the grocery to do the weekly shopping. After parking and heading toward the entrance I got behind an elderly gentleman who was standing behind his car with his empty cart looking confused. I asked him if he was finished with the cart and told him I would take it for him. He thanked me, stating he had been trying to locate the cart return. I went on in and did my shopping then went out with my cartful of groceries. As I was nearly finished loading my bags into my car another man walked up and asked if I would like for him to take my cart. I thanked him and tried to hurry to get the last of my bags into my car. He told me to take my time, that he was in no hurry. Then he advised me to fill my car up with gas also before the prices went up again and discussed how food prices would be going up again also. After a few minutes of conversation he took my cart and I headed off to the gas station. I thought about the unusual coincidence of my offer to take the cart being followed by another shopper offering to take the cart from me. It made the chore of shopping just a bit more pleasant to bestow a small kindness and then to receive one in kind unexpectedly.
I have decided to make a conscious effort to do at least one random act of kindness for someone every day. This will be my Lenten project and hopefully will turn into a habit for a lifetime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment