Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Plumb Pudding

It's Christmas Eve day and I have the next two days off work. I should be in the kitchen cleaning and baking but fate has struck another nasty blow. Our kitchen sink is clogged, evidently with something akin to concrete. My husband, the handyman that he is, has attempted to unclog the drain, to no avail. What he did accomplish is to etch interesting patterns on the dirty silverware that was lying nearby on the counter as he plunged through the sulfuric acid-laced water. So what will be on my Christmas list for next year? No, not a new husband, takes too much time to train a new one, but perhaps a new set of silverware will be in order. I hauled all the dirty dishes to the bathroom and washed them in a very large mixing bowl set into the bathtub. The drainboard, piled high with dishes, is perched precariously across the stainless steel tub caddy. I just hope no tiny food particles made their way into the jets of the tub or we may be bathing in a stew the next time we use the whirlpool. I am adjusting our traditional Christmas dinner menu to allow for the absence of a usable sink. I suppose we will be dining with disposable plasticware and paper plates. And maybe we will just drink the wine straight out of the bottles! Even better, I may just use Christmas gift wrap as a table cover then when we finish our meal I can just lift the whole mess into a bundle and pitch it in the garbage. Voila! And done! Now that's the Christmas spirit! Hope yours is a happy one. Cheers!

No comments: