Friday, April 11, 2008

Let Love Shine

Today I am posting a tribute I wrote for my mother's funeral:

The day after my mother died I headed to my hometown to help make arrangements for her. I was okay as I pulled up in front of her house and walked up to her door. But as I stepped inside I was overwhelmed with a feeling of loss and loneliness because I knew I would never again see her smiling face or hear her loving voice welcoming me in. It seemed very odd being there knowing she was forever gone and I couldn't hold back the tears.

Over the next couple of days as we all gathered in her home we made the necessary arrangements as best we could according to her wishes-yes, she had discussed some things she wanted with us. One of her wishes was to have her wedding ring placed back on her finger but we couldn't seem to locate it. As we sorted through places we thought it might be we ran across cards and letters she had received from us over the years, especially from her grandchildren. There were crayon drawings and little mementos tucked away here, there, and everywhere, little reminders of her most beloved treasures-her family.

As I wandered through her house I stopped to look at all the little knick-knacks filling every nook and cranny. None were very expensive items. Many were gifts from family and friends, others she bought because they reminded her of someone special, and still others were symbols of her Avon success. You couldn't help but notice that she especially loved cats, angels, and Christmas. Each item meant something to her and I found myself hoping that every one of her family would take an item to keep for themselves because they would then be holding onto a little piece of her heart.

There were her treasured photos of her family scattered throughout the house but mostly in her family room. She loved those pictures and got so much joy out of looking at them every day. Every time I have visited her I have also enjoyed looking at them.

On her refrigerator hung pictures of my father and my grandmother and many little poems and bits of written wisdom and love. These were reminders to her and to all who took the time to read them that life is not about what you have but what you have in your heart.

As I stood looking around I realized I was truly standing in the house that love built. While growing up in this house had been turbulent at times my mother always managed to make us all feel loved and special. Family was more important than career. Loving, laughing and living were more important than cleaning and cooking. We were loved and we knew it.

My mother was the most loving, caring person I know. She was slow to judge, quick to forgive, and always, always loved us unconditionally. She will be missed by all who knew her.

Today I honor my mother's birthday. She died three years ago and has been greatly missed by her family. Though we are sad that she is gone we all know she would not want us to be. She would want us to be happy for that was her biggest concern for us when she was alive. So think of her today and smile. Be glad to know we were wrapped in her love for all those years. Ours was a special relationship that many people long for with their own mothers. Let her love shine down on us today and celebrate her spirit in our hearts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thought of her often today,remembering her last birthday just two weeks before she died. How excited she got from the little musical candle and how optimistic she was that she would get better. I still miss her very much but she lives on in my three wonderful sisters who have been my comfort and solace during these troubling times I am facing. Love you guys! M

Anonymous said...

I think of Mom all the time. Even in the routine day-to-day events, she comes to mind often. I took fresh flowers to the cemetary on her birthday. I also took my garden rake and grass seed. I spent about an hour there planting grass seed around the family resting places. The phrase "sowing seeds of love" kept circling through my mind". The previous generations definitely sowed seeds of love through all of us. lilsis

Anonymous said...

i think her spirit lives on in all of the women in our family. she taught us to be proud of who we are, love one another, appreciate the gifts you get in life, and treat others well, without judgement. i feel so luck to have had her for my ma-maw as long as i did.

Anonymous said...

The tears well up when I think of Mom. How I miss our early morning conversations while I was driving to work. Some times I have had my hand on the phone to call and suddenly realise she is not there.
However she is embodied in all of us and I am grateful for the closeness and happiness in this large family.Paul has always been amazed at the joy we get from just being together. It is a wonderful thing Mom and Grandma gave us.
I am so grateful for the time she had after her diagnosis when she felt good and had the family swarming around. Some of us who live further away made the commitment to be home more often to see Mom and we had the added pleasure of reconnecting with siblings. Luv you.

Freezing in MI